12.25.2010

Favorite Tracks of 2010

It's been a pretty good year for music.  Album after album has knocked me off my feet.  So, I figured why not run through a list of a few songs I've loved this year?  I'm not saying these are the best of the best, or even that all of these songs are from this year, but they have all kept me going over the last 12 months.  So here they are, in no specific order.  Dig it.

Two Door Cinema Club - "Something Good Can Work"

  TWO DOOR CINEMA CLUB - Something Good Can Work by Pias France

At a time when everyone seems to be trying to reinvent the wheel, someone needs to go the other way, do what they know, and do it well.  In my book, nobody did that better than TDCC this year.  It's just danceable pop-rock meant to soundtrack the carefree days of youth.

Arcade Fire - "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)"

  15 Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains) by penguinandpanda
I'm not the only one who will tell you that The Suburbs was one of the years best albums.  I always thought the Arcade Fire was a tad overrated, but then I heard this album and started to understand what the hype was all about.

Florence + The Machine - "You've Got The Love (The XX Remix)"

  Florence + The Machine - You've Got The Love (The XX Remix) by AntiRebel 
Florence hit the mainstream this year with Dog Days Are Over being played the world over.  It's always great to see a truly talented artist get their due.

Cee-Lo Green - "What Part Of Forever?"

  Cee-Lo Green - What Part of Forever by uristocrat
It actually pisses me off quite a bit that one of my favorite songs from Cee-Lo this year wasn't on his stellar album "The Lady Killer", but was instead featured on the soundtrack for a shitty vampire/werewolf/all around retarded love story.  Come on Cee-Lo, you're so much better than that.

More after the jump.



Beach House - "10 Mile Stereo"

  Beach House - "10 Mile Stereo" by OctopusWindmill
Hands down the best track from Teen Dream.  An ethereal gem.

Mumford & Sons - "Little Lion Man"

  Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man by Stayloose
 Mumford & Sons is one of the most underrated bands of the year.  Sigh No More was an absolute accomplishment and the fact that the world overlooked it is blasphemy.
"Rate yourself and rape yourself,  take all the courage you have left/
wasted on fixing all the problems that you made in your own head"

Chiddy Bang - "Bad Day"

  Chiddy Bang - Bad Day by everythingstartssomewhere
Between this and Cee-Lo's "Fuck You", there seemed to be a niche for cheery hate songs this year.  Chiddy Bang was the little hip-hop artist that could, remixing song after song and releasing mixtape after mixtape, he refused to be denied.  And if you didn't try to, you were taken on quite a ride.

Local Natives - "Who Knows Who Cares"

  Who Knows Who Cares by Local Natives
This song came as an absolute surprise to me, sneaking up and making me pay attention to Local Natives and their debut album Gorilla Manor.  I was not disappointed in what I found.

Metric - "Black Sheep"

  Black Sheep- Metric by ASHmonster
Not choosing a song from Fantasies was a challenge in and of itself, with every single numbering in the band's best and the rest of the album faring even better, but there's just something about Black Sheep that makes it so enjoyable.  Also, Emily Haines = Crush Object supreme.


The Roots feat. Erykah Badu - "Billy Jean"


This recorded-from-a-random-jam-session cover is worth your time for a few reasons.  One being the surprise of finding that superhuman drummer ?uestlove could have easily taken on a successful career as a blues singer.  Another, my favorite, being Erykah Badu's ad-libbed impression of an abandoned mother, saying things like "Look at his eyes and look at his nose!  Look at his hair texture!  He look just like you!".  Priceless.

Childish Gambino - "I Be On That"

  I Be On That by Childish Gambino
Undoubtedly the hardest track on CG's Culdesac mixtape, this song kept me pumped like few others this year.  Here's to hoping that his next mixtape will be just as good.

Mark Ronson & The Business Intl (feat. Boy George) - "Somebody To Love Me" (and it's various remixes)

  Mark Ronson - Somebody To Love Me (Rhythm Plate's Jack Mix '87) by rhythmplate
This song has only been out for a couple of months and it's already been remixed about 100 times.  I can't quite get a hold of what exactly makes this song so danceworthy, but if the remixes are any indication, I'm not the only one who think so.

The Roots - "How I Got Over"

  How I Got Over by Sundae
I know I already included The Roots once, but How I Got Over is a force to be reckoned with, and the title track singlehandedly restored my faith in the conscious-rhyming superstars.  The rest of the album is just kind of a bonus.

I'll probably update a few times as more comes to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment